Monday 20 January 2014

It's a beautiful day...

It's a well-known fact that January can be a bit of a depressing month for some people. After all the excitement of the run up to Christmas, the parties, spending time with friends and family, going back to your normal routine can seem like quite a come down. The weather doesn't help. The cold, damp days of ceaseless rain we've been having this year in particular has made the start of 2014 even more depressing for some people.

I haven't personally been affected by the rain but I was still feeling a bit of the 'January blues'. I was allowing my circumstances to overwhelm me instead of seeing them in perspective,Then I watched this video on you tube, which Peter Maxian shared on Facebook, (link below),  of a blind man begging. He wasn't doing very well until a young woman came along and did something to help him. I won't say what it was; I'll let you watch it for yourself. I'll warn you now though, it might make you cry! I certainly did.

This made me think of how lucky I am that I have my sight. I can see the sun when it shines. I can see the clouds whether they're grey or white. I can see the seasons changing. It was a bit of a wake up call for me as it made me realise that I'd slipped into dwelling on the negative aspects of my life instead of being grateful for all the things that are good about it.

Part of my 'New Beginnings' resolution was to be an optimist, not a pessimist. To see the silver lining and be a 'Rainbow in someone else's cloud'. But it looks like every so often I need to be reminded of this!

We can all be blind at times. We get so wrapped up in our problems and the minutia of daily life that we fail to see the beauty around us and really appreciate what a truly marvellous world we live in.

In this video he touched her shoes, but she touched his heart. Her simple act of kindness changed his circumstances for the better. She 'touched his life briefly’; it didn't cost her anything, only a moment of her time. But what a difference she made! 

I think that this is a lesson for us all. I'm not really one for making New Year's resolutions but I am resolved to look for any opportunities, however small, to try to 'make a difference'. A small act of kindness on our part may only take a minute, but could make a huge difference to the person on the receiving end.


Photo courtesy of:- https://www.facebook.com/photo.php?fbid=690716544333388&set=a.109979089073806.15189.109759299095785&type=1&theater









No comments :

Post a Comment