Tuesday 16 October 2012

If it's Monday, it must be wash day!

While my washing machine was doing my washing and the dishwasher was cleaning my dishes, I was quite happily checking my emails and facebook. I was reflecting on how great it was that we have these technologies that make our lives a lot easier. I can still remember the Monday wash days of my childhood, when my mum was almost literally chained to the kitchen sink for the entire day. We had an electric single tub to which a wringer was attached to 'wring out' the excess water from the clothes etc. I particularily remember how heavy the bedding used to be when it was wet. My mum didn't need to go to the gym for a good workout. simply doing the washing was a good enough workout in itself.

It was also extremely dangerous! One day my Mum as well as feeding through a sheet, also fed through her hand! The wringer was electric too so her hand was well and truly caught before anything could be done. Fortunately there was no permanent damage done to her hand but I still have her wedding ring which was permanently left in an elliptical shape. I often think about that when I'm safely loading my machine and turning it on safe in the knowledge that it will wash, rinse and spin my laundry with minimal risk to my safety.

We are so lucky these days to have all these modern devices that leave us the time to do other things, like blogging!We have the freedom to be getting on with other things while some of the household chores are taking care of themselves. I've heard there's even a device that will get on with cleaning the floors all by itself! Note to self, must find out where to get one. But is it just me or does having this freedom of choice just put us under pressure to be doing other things.

You'd think with all these labour-saving devices that we would have more time to relax. but do we relax? I'm sure that I'm not the only woman who feels guilty if she's not rushing around like the proverbial headless chicken. But you know what? When I'm gone no one is going to remember how clean my loo was or how tidy the house. They will remember if I was happy because I wasn't stressed all the time or that I always had time for them when they needed me. The modern woman feels that she should be able to have it all and do it all but when we stop to consider what's really important it may help us to sort out our priorities.

My kids have grown up and are off living their own lives. So why do I feel guilty if I take the time to sit down and read a book or write a blog? If taking time to do things that I enjoy makes me a happier, more relaxed person then why should I feel guilty? If we're happy and at peace with ourselves then those around us will feel the benefit. We'll be easier to be around for a start!

So I won't think of spending 'me time' as being selfish, but as a kindness to my family and friends!There will always be things that have to be done and in my opinion taking time for me should be one of them! In my mum's day washday had to be planned. Now that there is a machine to do the washing lets schedule that time for working on our well-being. After all, in the words of a well known advert, "we're worth it"!

Flashmob Granny.

No comments :

Post a Comment