Thursday 25 October 2012

Making the most of life's opportunities!

Last night I was invited to a social gathering in a local hostelry. Now I don't know about you, but at this time of year I'm very reluctant to venture out again after I've closed the curtains and put on the fire. This, coupled with the prospect of walking into a crowded pub on my own, made me very reluctant indeed. But unable to come up with a plausible excuse, I decided I'd go for an hour then make my excuses! So after a quick tidy up I jumped in the car, (I wouldn't even be able to have alcohol) and set off to 'be polite'.

What was the occasion? Who was going to be there? The who was a group of ladies of a certain age, who really ought to know better, who on Wednesdays and Fridays join me in 3/4 of an hour to 1 hour of torture as we try to get our bodies to do things that even 20 years ago would have been a challenge. All under the names of Street Dance and Zumba! Every week we are joined together by huffing and puffing, creaking and squeaking, as we try to keep up with the teacher, who could possibly be one of our daughters. The occasion was to celebrate the fact that the teacher is going off on an adventure for 5 weeks to the far flung corners of the globe. She was celebrating in anticipation of the fun she was going to have. We, the fact that we will have 5 weeks free from pain! In actual fact we'll really miss her as despite the pain, we have a really great time and my bmi has dropped to boot.

As I pushed open the door to the pub, I was greeted by a sea of faces. Everyone seemed to know everyone else and I couldn't see anyone I recognised. After a moment's hesitation wondering if perhaps I should just turn around and go home, I entered this haven of happiness. After scouring the inside in vain I made my way to the back where there was a marquee set up outside. I still couldn't find them. Finally after walking backwards and forwards a couple of times feeling very conspicuous, I spotted the teacher just beside the front door. The other ladies were crammed around a table in the window. As it was very crowded, we all made our way to the marquee and ensconced ourselves in a corner beside one of the heaters.

What followed I can only describe as one of the best nights out I've had. We talked and laughed and as the evening wore on the conversation even got a bit ribald with one of the ladies telling us about her experience on a nudist beach. Suffice it to say that she used words such as well-hung and donkey!!!!!!!!!! Reluctantly at about 11pm, we decided that it was time to go home, it being a 'school night'. With much hugging and promising to do this again, we each went our separate ways.

If I'd obeyed my first instinct, or laziness really, I would have missed out on this wonderful time and the opportunity to get to know these lovely women. It just goes to show how important it is to make the most of the chances that come our way. Don't get me wrong, I've been to my fair share of boring events, but how many great times have I missed out on by not making the effort.

The lesson for today is:- be adventurous and open to the opportunities that come your way. You never know, you might just meet your next best friend or at the very least have a great time.   




3 comments :

  1. Hi Isobel, I was exactly the same - the thought of making an effort in the middle of the week seemed beyond me, but I'm so glad I did! It was a lovely evening and I've been telling the nudist beach story to everyone who will listen, still crying with laughter each time!
    Hopefully see you soon, Sophie

    ReplyDelete
  2. Oops! Isabel not Isobel!! Sorry!:)

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Hi Sophie. It was lovely to meet you on Wednesday. It was such fun! Thank you for adding me to your circle. It's all new to me. Hopefully we'll see each other at the Christmas meal in January lol! Isabel :)

      Delete